The White Lilac
Author: Christina J Adams
Blurb: Fifteen year old Caryn Tobin is willing to sacrifice her life to save the world, and to atone for her part in the death of a friend. Kai Garrett will risk everything to discover his past and why he was abandoned. When their paths join, they form an unlikely friendship that could change everything. The fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Review: Last night as I took refuge from Himself's horror flick, and in something of a state of ennui, I opened this book with very low expectations. To my surprise, I was hooked from the first page! I was reminded a lot of The Hunger Games as I read, both in style and context, and enjoyed it just as much.

Unlike the Hunger Games, though, this was a quick, short read - and seemed to be better for it. No long drawn out development, just straight into the action. The action heroes, two teens named Caryn and Kai, are introduced to the reader right at the start, and their characters and backgrounds are developed through the book until you are entirely engrossed with them and rooting for them to win through by the end. 

Unusually, the book switches perspective, beginning with Caryn as the storyteller, then switching to the story from Kai's point of view. Even more interesting, the format changes with each switch - first person from Caryn, third person from Kai. Extraordinary - but really effective!

The end wrapped up so beautifully - with a twist I did not see coming - that I felt like my favorite person had just won and I wanted to hurrah and celebrate. Excellent, and well recommended. 

Comments

Popular Posts